4.29.2013

Nurse Julie and the Angel Wings

As you read yesterday was a rough day and it has continued. We are still trying to find the right mix of medications for Gabrielle to be "comfortable". She is more agitated than in pain. To add to the agitation they are steadily dropping her Dexmedetomidine. She has to be off of it before they will let us out of the ICU. They added Ativan to her growing list of drugs to help with relaxation. It does seem to give her time to rest but I tend to be hesitant to give it because it knocks her out. But as of a few minutes ago I wrapped my mind around the thought that if I was agitated I would probably welcome a little sleep. I can't imagine what her little body must feel like at this point. She has been poked and prodded over and over again and she has strange people coming in her room to look at her all the time. Other than the agitation she has been doing pretty well. If we can get her under control tonight they will consider moving her to a regular floor tomorrow. Bart said that early this morning he did get a couple of smiles from her. I have yet to see any myself today but she did ask for me while I was gone to lunch which is a comfort. She does reach toward us when we are at the bedside. I told her earlier that if I could hold her I would but that I wasn't allowed to yet... her response "Why?". Bart described the feeling perfectly earlier, it's like someone has pulled your heart out and thrown it on the floor.

Nurse Julie has been our night nurse all weekend and Bart and I adored her. She wanted Gabrielle to like her so much but of course Gabby was having none of that the first couple of nights. Apparently while Bart and I would sleep at night Julie would spend time in our room watching whatever movie was on with Gabby. She would change out her movies for her. Julie even offered to paint her toenails but Gabby wouldn't let her. I heard from Bart that Gabby did give Julie a smile this morning. Julie was the person that really pushed to get Gabby's NG tube out of her nose. On Saturday night, the second night with her, she brought Gabrielle these fabric angels wings. They give them out to patients and Julie snagged two pairs just for Gabby. She was very particular about the colors and fabric they were made out of too. They are meant to drape around you and wrap around your shoulders to give comfort. There is a picture of one of the sets attached to this update. I thank God for sending Julie to us for those three nights to lighten our spirits and to try to show Gabby that there are even angels on earth to take care of you.
 This pair of angel wings actually has little pockets on the other side
 so I think these will be Gabby's favorite. :)

This is the poem on the inside of both pairs of angel wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment