4.26.2013

A lesson in patience

As most of you know I am not a patient person. I have learned with having Gabrielle in my life that God gave her to Bart and I to teach us. Teach us life lessons and about our faith in him. I have felt that since learning we would have a child with a birth defect such as this that I have learned to hand everything over to him. Our lord will take care of us and her if we only have the patience to let him to do so. As I said before patience is not my strongest quality but this week I am certain that is what he is trying to teach me. I had to wait patiently for almost 12 hours before Bart and I got to see Gabrielle after letting her to go pre-op yesterday. Today and the next many days will be about patience of her healing. We often get in the way of what the lord is trying to teach us, we let things get in the way of our path. I have learned this week to step aside and let him lead. God knows your path, he created it... Follow him!

As for Gabrielle and how she is doing (which I know is the true reason you are here) she is stable. Her vitals signs and her actions are how we tell she is in pain. She is in and out of consciousness and of course still on the respirator, so she isn't able to speak or cry out to let us know that she is pain. They are trying their best here in the PICU to stay ahead of the pain. For most of the day she has rested well. Earlier they decided to add a mattress pad to her bed to help prevent bed sores. This was a nerve wracking process. It required 4 nurses and the respiratory therapist and took about 30 min to an hour to do. They got the mattress pad all ready with sheets and blankets and then had to lift her in the air and slide the mattress pad under her. The nurses and RT were great with taking their time and being in unison. Dr. Alam stopped by this evening and took her incision dressing off. He seemed really pleased with the way it looked. Dr. Pan also stopped by and checked her drainage from the incision site he was also very pleased. They both again said that the most important thing is letting her get lots of rest and keeping her as still as possible. One time today she opened her eyes and looked at me, the pain in her eyes just about broke my heart. I just reassured her that daddy and I are here and that we loved her very much. I asked her if she wanted to see her daddy and she shook her head yes. What an amazing and fleeting moment it was. Bart and I took turns holding her hand till she went back to sleep.

Granny D and Mary stopped by with Avery so that Bart and I could snuggle time with her. We brought both Granny and Mary back to see Gabby. We also had  another couple of visitors today... Gabby's little OEIS/CE friend Isaac and his mom, Jill, stopped by for a few minutes to meet us today. Isaac and his family brought Gabrielle a gift, I can't wait to give it to her. Also another happy note today is that we got a room at Ronald McDonald house today. We went and checked in a couple of hours ago. It is an amazing place, huge they can house up to 78 families at a time. We have a nice size room with 2 double beds and our own bathroom. They provide meals everyday or we can cook our own meal in one of the two massive kitchens. God has provided us with many blessings yesterday and today. We are so thankful to him for each and every one of them. Please continue to pray for Gabrielle's pain to be managed and for God to heal her body.

No comments:

Post a Comment