2.11.2021

Processing Prevention over Plans

Another surgery has come and gone. Gabby is in a room and doing pretty good. She of course is in pain but is on Tylenol, Morphine, Toradol and Valium to help curb the pain. This surgery was called a lumbar laminectomy fancy words for detethering the spine. Bart and I had so many reservations going into this surgery. One going back to hospital that we left 10 years ago. Secondly, Gabby having a surgery in which Dr. Alam wasn’t performing or had a hand in personally selecting the other surgeons. Third and probably biggest, the possible formidable outcomes. The surgery was predicted to be 2-4 hours but turned into about 5 to 5 1/2 hours. While it makes for a long day I like to think that means that the surgical team took extra caution due to the difficulty of her diagnosis. Once we met with Dr. Volk we soon found out that indeed was the case. Apparently, tethered cords present many difficulties due to the way the spine forms and in Gabby’s case closed. The layers that envelop the spine are typically in a certain order but in Gab’s case they were kind of folded up. Dr. Volk said it took about 1 hour just to “open” her up and then 1 hour to try to do his best job and closing up a layer that in his description was like trying to stitch tissue paper closed tightly. This will be our special request prayers... 1) that she heals properly and quickly 2) that she is able to have patience as she is required to lay completely flat with no pillows or bed elevation for at least 48 hours 3) that she does not develop a spinal fluid leak. Number 3 may be the very most important. If she develops a leak they will have perform another procedure and put in a type lumbar drain. Dr. Volk says that she will not tolerate that type of drain well because of her age and having to stay in the bed even longer. Now moving forward to the title of this blog... Processing Prevention over Plans. Bart and I had a lot to process once talking to Dr. Volk after the surgery. As far as the presented “planned” results and the actual expected results of the surgery. We went into this surgery thinking this will help her feet relax back to more comfortable position. We are now being told that this may not be the case. Instead we should concentrate on the hope that this surgery will prevent her feet from getting worse than they already are. This was a huge disappointment, especially for myself. I was the one that went to all of the appointments prior to surgery and then relaying information to Bart. I feel like I did not listen good enough, ask the correct questions and then failed to communicate the information to Bart correctly. This is tough to swallow for me. If you know me well then you know I’m absolutely my own worst critic and have been beating myself up over whether I have made the correct decision in the best interest of Gabby and her future.Bart and I have come to the conclusion that the detethering surgery was unavoidable. It most definitely will help prevent the almost inevitable occurrence of scoliosis in the future. Also, we will pray that she will proves us all wrong as that her feet will correct even if it’s the tiniest bit. She is the most determined and hard headed little girl I know and she wakes up everyday and faces most any challenge head on. Bart and I want to thank you all for praying for all of us today and in the days to come. We can never repay our family and friends for the support that we receive not only in our major times of need but also daily.

3 comments:

  1. Selena you have done the best that you could. You have had only the best intentions. Do not belittle yourself as you have done a great job..prayers for that beautiful little girl and all of your family.. much love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabby is amazing and so are you guys!
    Sending tons of prayers and hugs and love 💘

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw so many testimonies about Dr Itua a great HERBAL DOCTOR that can cure all kind of diseases and give you the rightful health to live a joyful life, I didn't believe it at first, but as the pain got worse and my life was at risk after visiting my therapist numerous times for combination of treatments. And no changes so I decided to take a try, I contacted him also and told him I want a cure for Vulvar cancer/ Testicular cancer and it was Stage IIIA, he gave me advice on what I must do and he delivered it to me in my state which I use according to his instruction, and today I must say I am so grateful to this man Dr Itua for curing me from Vulvar cancer/ Testicular cancer and for restoring me back to my normal health and a sound life, I am making this known to every one out there who have been living with cancers all his life or any sick person should not waste more time just contact him with his details below- WhatsApp- +2348149277967 Email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, believe me this man is a good man with Godly heart, this is the real secret we all have been searching for. Do not waste more time contacting him today for you to also live a sound and happy life. He cures the following disease, thyroid Cancer, Uterine cancer, Fibroid, Arthritis, Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia, Bladder cancer, Brain cancer, HIV, Herpes, Esophageal cancer, Gallbladder cancer, Gestational trophoblastic disease, Head and neck cancer, Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer, Kidney cancer,Hpv, Lung cancer, Melanoma,Mesothelioma, Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Oral cancer, Ovarian cancer, Sinus cancer, Hepatitis A, B/C, Skin cancer, Soft tissue sarcoma, Stroke, Lupus, Spinal cancer, Stomach cancer, Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer, Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases, Pancreatic Cancer, Leukemia, Liver cancer, Throat cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Chronic Diarrhea,Copd, Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis.

    ReplyDelete